Thursday, May 12, 2011

Reasons Why I Hate Computers #17,165,974,188,503

by Crazy Ivan

Until moments ago, I had this happy blog entry all worked out in my head.  I was about to excitedly announce that I'd finally reached 100 tricks on the Tricktionary.  I added 20 new descriptions and even broke the Tricktionary up a bit so that each letter heading was separated.  I was going to announce that I'd increased the size of said resource by 25% and made it easier to use at the same time.

But that was before my computer decided that it hated me.

Or, more accurately, before blogspot decided it hated me.

See, when you add a new blog entry, you're constantly given the option to save the page you're working on "As a Draft".  This is in case you get 3/4ths of the way through an entry and can't finish it.  Rather than sacrificing your work (or even worse, publish 3/4ths of an article) you can simply save it and come back to it later.

But that doesn't work if you're saving a page that you're in the proccess of editing.  Sure, it still gives you the option to save an edited page "As a Draft".  The button is there and everything.  It just doesn't actually save anything.  Instead, if you make the mistake of trying to save an edited page as a Draft it comes up and says "Saved as a Draft".

And somewhere deep inside your computer the little demon that lives there laughs at you.  Because it's lying and it knows it is.  See, when you save an edit "as a draft" what actually happens is that it erases all your work.  It reverts the existing page to the pre-edited form and there is no way to recover the work you've done to that point.

So 20 trick descriptions, 20 video links and 26 letter headings were all wiped out.  3 hours of work, over 1700 words of typing... all gone with nothing to show for it.

I'd love to say I'm jumping on that right now and rewriting all the stuff I just wrote, but I don't have the heart to do it.  I can't bring myself to just go back and do the exact same work again immediately after doing it the first time.  I think I'd rather just drop kick this computer (or better, whatever idiot programmed that subroutine for blogspot) and scream until I lost my voice.

So (through little fault of my own) the Tricktionary will remain exactly as it was yesterday and the day before.  It might be some time before I go back and mess with it again.  As much as I'd love to rewrite verbatim all the stuff I just wrote about how to do the Ankle Breaker, the Armageddon, the Back O line, the Brontosaurus, the Bruce Lee, the Cap Wrap, the Cell Phone, the Crypto, the Drop of Death, the Duck, the Electron, the Figure 4, the Fist Stall, the Gui, the Headstone, the Hop Over, the Illusion Fusion, the Infinite Under the Leg, the Infusion and the Jedi, I have other things I've still got to accomplish today.

Not the least of which is trying to figure out something to blog about other than how frustrated I am with blogging...

No comments:

Post a Comment