Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Late Entry

by Crazy Ivan

A big fan of the game down in Georgia sent me a late entry for our recent writing contest.  He knew that the contest was over and that the prizes had been awarded, but he still wanted to express why he played Myachi.  After a quick read through, I realized I really had to share it with everyone.  I think he expresses a lot of the thoughts about Myachi that we all share.

So thanks, Shogun, for the kind words and, of course, for making my evening blog post as easy as a quick copy and paste:

Why I Myachi
by Myachi Shogun

I have been asked frequently, "Why do you like Myachi so much," and although the question is simple, the answer I very complicated. If I had to choose 2 reasons for practicing my jamming 100 hours a day, they would be the freedom of myachi and the ability to release emotions when you jam.


I love to jam because I can do it anywhere, anytime and anyplace. I honestly have jammed in an elevator, AP exam, SAT breaks (and during the test), school/class, and at home. I can recall several times when I have been jamming through Wal-Mart, the mall and other public areas and people stop me and ask me to do more tricks.

I jam walking down the hallway and during class, especially now that classes are basically over. Because of public jamming, my friend Nick and I were able to sell over 36 myachis in 3 weeks. Now I sit in class and 5 or 6 people all toss the sack around with me, throwing in some tricks. The flexibility of myachi is so great, I'm able to be a student to people like Crazy Ivan, Animal, and Maverick, whose videos are on the "Favorites" on my computer, as well as be a teacher to those just learning, both young and old.

I don't think I could be able to address the flexibility of myachi without talking about the infinite number of tricks and combos you can hit. I remember when I first started learning and my first big combo I hit was a trampoline to a foot stall, ending it with a 360. There are fast tricks, slow tricks, foot tricks, switch tricks, single, double and triple myachi tricks (I'm sure 4 and 5 can be used), and many more.

My biggest reason for getting into myachi is it is not only a hobby, but therapeutic in a way. If I ever get down, I always have my Guatemalan Black, Houndstooth or Yellow Braveheart (he's talking about the LumberJack Yellow. -ed) in my pocket ready to jam. If I'm mad, I can do fast tricks like the Subter Fusion, Fu and kicks, and if I am kinda down, I can do stalls and switches. Myachi takes my mind off of the things around me and puts me in a world of concentration.

Myachi is by far the coolest thing I have ever done. I can have so many accomplishments and it gives me something to hope for. I always have a new trick to work on and a new combo to connect it to. There are tricks and styles for everyone. That is why I love Myachi.

Anyone looking for a good jam video to learn, I'm working on memorizing Maverick's shred at Washington Square!

No comments:

Post a Comment