Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Last Days of the Myachigon

by Crazy Ivan
When we first opened the Myachigon back in 2008, it was supposed to be a one year thing.  Fao Shwarz liked to rotate out the "pole position" in their store and since Myachi was their top seller it seemed only natural that it was time for us to rotate in.  We opened late in the year so that we would be front and center through Christmas.  At the time they said they might swap something a bit more "summery" into that location in March, but we were pretty confident that we would do so good that they would let us stay there for the whole year.

We did not expect was that they would leave us there for two and a half years.  I guess we kind of hoped they would but considering what they told us at the beginning, we didn't expect that would be a possibility.

But of course, like all good things, the Myachigon must come to an end.  We've managed to maintain the most coveted toy-retail location in the world for far longer than any other toy in history so we're not exactly going to hang our heads now that the run is over.

But I will miss the Myachigon.

We're breaking it down Monday night.  I feel less like a Myachi Master and more like a pall bearer.  We've rented a massive truck to take all the legs and big screen TVs away.  They've set us up with two locations in the store to continue to rock it out so we'll be moving all the product to those spots.  Myachi Man, Kid, Monk, Animal, Mav, Bones, Noodles and I will give the old girl the send off that she deserves.

That means, of course, that if you want to visit the Myachigon one last time, you have a very short time to do it.  It'll be open today and all day tomorrow, but if you come into FAO on Tuesday it will be but a memory.

I'll admit that it feels like the end of an era in a sense, but ultimately there's a lot of good news that goes with it.  Not the least of which is the fact that I can finally get those two Black Beards I dropped into the pillars back in 2008.

7 comments:

  1. RIP. Glad I was able to visit her, even if only once.

    I'll trade you for one of those Black Beards as a remembrance. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I just shed a tear :'(

    Where are the jamcams going to be, now? I would suggest the HQ, but it's cool to watch new people learning the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont forget about the finish line down there too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More candy, from what I hear. I'll be on the look out for that Finish Line, Corey. I have a feeling that inside those pillars is a gold mine of rare sacks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Put them up as tradeables/contest prizes? :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really sucks, never having seen it :/

    ReplyDelete