Saturday, April 30, 2011

Too Quiet and Too Clean

by Crazy Ivan

Mad busy day at HQ today so I don't have time to write much.  But I did want to take a second to acknowledge just how boring the House of Skills has been since Mav and Animal left.  With Kore gone, Noodles a couple of weeks from moving in and Kid Myach spending most nights at his girlfriend's place, that leaves only Pinky, Monk and I to occupy this big, four story house.  Not only are more than half the residents missing, but it was the noisy half at that.

At first it was a quaint little novelty.  When we cleaned up the living room, it just stayed clean.  When it was time to go to bed we weren't interrupted by the sounds of random juggling props slamming against the floor above us.  When I went to the computer, there was nobody on it.  When I got thirsty, the jug of water in the fridge would actually have water in it.

For a while that was pretty cool.  Monk spends most of his time upstairs in his room and if I had to guess, I'd say that he spends about 65% of his off-work time adjusting his fantasy baseball roster (I'm going by how often that's what he's doing when I pop in on him).  Pinky spends at least that much time engulfed in a story on her E-Reader (it's like a Kindle but more expensive and less functional) so I've practically had the house to myself for a month.

But the new smell wears off on that pretty quickly and now I just miss having my friends around.  There's hardly ever anyone to slack-line with, there's nobody there I can beat at ping pong and Nerf wars are way too predictable when it's just me against Monk.  And to be perfectly honest, all that peace and quiet is really starting to get to me.

Not many people are lucky enough to live with several of their best friends and those that are usually overlook how awesome that arrangement is.  It's easy to do because when you live with somebody you see them in good times and bad.  You're constantly confronted by things like their unwashed dishes, their messes, their annoying musical tastes, their bad taste in movies... whatever.  In fact, it's actually pretty easy to get so caught up in these petty annoyances that you completely forget that the person is also awesome.

Nothing like a few weeks of absence to make you forget all about the bad stuff.  I personally can't wait for those guys to get back.  I can't exactly speak for Monk, but he's been long-boarding by himself since they left and now that the weather is so nice I'm sure he's dying for somebody to cruise with.  I'd go myself, but Animal and Mav took their boards with them and I can't bring myself to spend more than $100 on anything you can't buy from the Dube Store.

The wait is almost over and I'm sure that within a couple of weeks I'll be listening to the sounds of Animal's newest video game obsession echoing down the stairs and silently asking Australia to take them back.  But in truth I know what really matters and surrounding yourself with friends is one of those things that matters at every stage of your life.

So if the pilot of their flight happens to read this by some odd chance, hustle bro.  I have new tricks to show them!

No comments:

Post a Comment