Monday, April 18, 2011

Non-Myachi Uses for a Myachi

by Crazy Ivan


This afternoon I was off, but I had to swing out to the HQ with a buddy anyway so I wound up hanging out at the office long enough to sell him 36 Myachis and throw down a quick game of ping pong.  For the sake of this blog, I'll call him "Hetzer", since that's his name.  For the record, Hetzer has some sick skills and as much or more style than 90% of people in the game.

So we're driving back out to the House of Skills from HQ and he's talking about various people that he's given Myachis to.  He works backstage at broadway shows so he meets people from all over the world.  One of his most recent conquests was teaching the game to about two dozen Venezuelan Flamenco dancers.

While we're talking about it, he also mentions this girl he gave a Myachi to that does wardrobe.  She doesn't actually play the game, but she loves her Tidal Wave Blue as a pin cushion.  She says it takes up less room than a regular pin cushion and works just as well.  As much as I hate the voodoo implications of sticking a Myachi with pins all the time, it got me to thinking of some of the weird things I've used Myachis for in the past.

Coin Flips


Most Myachi Maniacs have seen this done.  Heads is the side of the tag that just says "Myachi Original Hand Sack" and Tails is the side of the tag with the glyph and the website on it.  You toss the Myachi in a high Kick-Flip spin and let it hit the ground.  This is a pretty common way of determining who gets first call in a game of MYACH.

Construction


I can't tell you how many chairs and tables I've repaired with a Myachi.  Whenever I find myself at a restaurant with a wobbly chair or table, I always slide a Myachi or two under it to level things off.  It's convenient if you don't like wobbling, but I've also lost a lot of Myachis by forgetting them under the legs of random tables.

Ballast


There was a time when all I put in my pockets were keys, my wallet and some loose change, but in the modern day of cell phones and iPods, my pockets have gotten more and more full.  Sometimes I toss extra Myachis in one pocket just to even out the weight.

Stoppers


Speaking of cellphones, I hate trying to wrestle my phone out of my pocket when I'm driving.  To avoid that, I usually toss it on the passengers seat when I get in the car.  This works fine in most cars, but sometimes it tends to slide around and a sharp turn can leave it deposited somewhere in the nether-realms  between the seat and the door.  A few well placed Myachis can cure that problem if you recognize it soon enough.

Remote Controls


This usually only works if I've got a bunch of Myachis on me, but the TV I have downstairs has a large enough button to turn it on and off from the couch with a well placed Myachi throw (don't try that at home, by the way).  Of course, that's not particularly useful since the TV actually has a remote control.  Much more often I use Myachis to turn off lights with rocker switches.  Depending on the distance, I usually get it within three or four tries.

Tripods


As many of you probably know, I film my Trick of the Day each day on my iPod so I'm not exactly working with state of the art video equipment.  Sometimes, depending on where I'm filming from, I'll employ Myachis in the hasty assembly of a makeshift tripod.  Since they're small enough to fit in under the camera lens on my Nano they do a great job steadying things up.

Billiards


There is a version of billiards we came up with once that employs Myachi, but that doesn't really qualify as a "non-Myachi" use.  You can, however, use Myachi to reduce friction when you play.  Instead of wearing a glove or using hand-chalk, you can simply fold a yummy Myachi between your thumb and forefinger.

Medical


While I've never actually used a Myachi as a medical device, I have seen it done.  Maverick once faceplanted on his way home from the subway stop and gave himself a heck of a nosebleed.  In his defense, he was trying some weird new cross-step maneuver on his longboard... it's not like he just fell over and bloodied his nose.  Anyway, as he's making his way home he had to use his favorite Black Beard to stem the flow of blood, which technically makes it a medical device.

Cushions


Myachis come in really handy anytime you find yourself confronted with an uncomfortable armrest, which is often the case in theaters and on airplanes.  A Myachi under your forearm or your elbow can save you a bruise that might otherwise persist for days.

Crime Fighting


While I certainly have never done this myself, if rumor on the street can be believed, someone is making there way through the dark nights in the Big Apple using Myachis to fight street crime.  He's been reported to use them in stopping fleeing criminals, blocking doors, hypnotizing attack dogs and, in the most extreme cases, blocking bullets (another use you shouldn't try at home).

I should emphasize how not me this person is.  While he only appears in a mask and has thus far managed to escape without being photographed he is definitely not me, despite the eyewitness accounts that describe him as approximately my height and build.


-----

Many moons ago we started a thread on our forum of all the different things you could do with a Myachi and ended up with a list of more than a hundred "non-Myachi" uses.  I've limited myself to my 10 favorite in this blog, but if anyone else has some memorable odd jobs they've used Myachis to do, well... that's why we have a comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment