Thursday, April 7, 2011

Kid Myach Does Australia


by Kid Myach

Now that I’ve been home for a fortnight I guess it’s time to finally post my Tale From The Trip to Australia. As you will all learn or have learned in the years past, I’m on my own time clock; otherwise, known as KidTime. If any of you have ever visited the Caribbean Islands you will better understand KidTime. But that’s a story for another day.
I need the shades to get past the paparazzi.
I got my start out of JFK on Monday March 7 at 6:30 pm aboard Qantas flight #108 to Melbourne, AU. Just 23 more hours, 5 time zones, the International Date Line, and I’ll be in Australia.
Date and Departure information.
Good bye New York
The first leg of the flight was a 5-hour jaunt from NY to LA. I was just commenting a couple of months ago how I don’t understand how anyone can do an international flight. For me just doing a 5-hour flight out West is more than enough time spent cramped up in a plane. Tack on an additional 18 hours and Walla I’ll be down under.
Goodbye America. A quick shot out the window before taking off.



I feel horrible and I still have 18 hrs to go and I'm losing a day.
Pretty quickly I wasn't even making sense. I had watched my 5th movie and hadn't slept so I couldn't tell whether I was dreaming or watching, yet another movie. Check out the clip below, I don't make sense, I just babble. Sleep is a good thing!
I need to sleep! I'm not even making any sense right here.
There were days when I thought I’d give anything to just lay in bed or sit around watching movies all day long. Well, I’ve done it and it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. If I could go outside and play I would. Oh, check that, the outside temp. is -61 'F. I guess I'll stay in and watch another movie.
Oh, by the way, I lost a day during the flight. Since Australia is just over the International Date Line, I was flying west to catch the day but it was moving too quickly so Poof. I lost it.
Melbourne, AU
I feel as bad as I look.

I have finally arrived in Melbourne, AU on March 9th and I'm feeling a little funny. Check out the video and recognize how beaten up I look. I felt like my whole world was upside down. I wonder if the toilet flushes the other way too? Hmmm... That was one of the most difficult things I’ve ever had to do. I’m not necessarily claustrophobic but I cannot handle being crammed into an airplane seat for that amount of time. It doesn’t matter if you can get up and walk around, you’re still stuck on the plane.
Once I arrived there was a super long line at customs to go through. During the flight I was given custom papers to fill out and one of the questions asked was, “Are you bringing in any soil?” Well, normally that wouldn’t be such a big thing for most folks, but I had a luggage full of Myachi’s filled with “Secret Sauce,” which some may confuse for a certain type of soil or dirt.

I look insane here. I've barely slept and have the look of a madman.
Hurry up and wait. I guess that's a human trait. We rush around everywhere going as fast as we can but don't get anywhere. I rushed to get here just so that I could wait in line. But check it out, the line moves pretty quick...giddy-up!
Seemingly never ending line for customs.
Apparently, it was my lucky day because when I finally went in front of the customs agent and she asked about the Myachi’s and what was inside, she took it to every manager that she could find to make sure it was ok to bring in Secret Sauce into AU. While she walked around asking every manager that she could I was jamming with the Myachi. She would show the person in charge a Myachi, then turn around and point at me, both would smile and then she’d walk over to another manager and repeat. When she finally returned she told me, “It must be your lucky day! Normally, we would quarantine this for several days before letting you take it into the country, but you’re welcome to go.” Yet again, Myachi saves the day, or should I say Myachi Provides!
The reason for me coming to AU was that we picked up a new Australian Distributor who wants to introduce the Game, the Lifestyle, and the Excitement of Myachi to his fellow Downundermen. My first week was spent in Melbourne introducing Myachi at the Australian Toy Fair.

Heading into the show for the first time, I'm pretty psyched!
I'm still affected by the jet lag. As you can tell, I was a bit wired. I juiced up on some coffee and had a traditional eggs and beans breakfast at the Best Western I was staying at in Melbourne. What a great country Australia is, it's so American. lol
Our booth for AU Toy Fair.
Marc Benjamin, the owner of Theatrix, is my host and our new distributor. Theatrix is the largest magic distributor in all of Australia.
Cameron is Marc’s #1 sales guy and magic man demonstrator.
I've gotten an update from Marc that Cameron's game is getting good. He's even got the Matrix down now too! It took me almost 5 years to figure out how to do the Matrix. Most everyone I know get's it within the first week or so. I guess I'm just a little slower than most.

They wouldn't let me walk around and film so I'm relegated to the booth.
The Aussie Toy Fair was super cool. It's a bummer they wouldn't let me film inside the show. There were some super sweet new app games and R/C cars, planes, and boats. It’s not nearly as big as the New York International Toy Fair but still super cool. They seem to specialize in R/C boats, cars, and planes mostly. At least, those were the companies with the largest booths.
This week was tough for me. I never understood Jet Lag until now. It took me almost a week before I felt normal. I would pass out from exhaustion every night around 11pm there time and wake up at 3 am every morning, like clock work. 3am is noon NY time. So my body thought I was sleeping in. After a week of that, I finally slept until 7 am Aussie time.

This was a super cool fire show. The heat was pretty amazing.
Check out this fire show. There’s a river that runs through the middle of Melbourne that has these 20-foot high pillars that travel along the rivers edge. During the evening, every hour on the hour, these pillars belch out huge plumes of fire. As you can see from the video they start small and build to larger blasts. What you cannot sense is the intense heat these fire plumes emit within several feet of the pillars. It must feel nice during the winter months.
After a week in Melbourne I jumped on a plane and flew an hour over to Sydney to spend the week in Marcs hometown. He drove me all around town introducing me to many of his customer for a bit of the Myachi Razzle-Dazzle.

Sydney, AU

I stayed in a pretty sketchy hotel on Kings Cross. It was a Spartan room. No phone, the shower and toilet were one room, and there was no remote for the TV. That’s right, can you imagine, a TV with no remote control. It’s not that the remote was missing; I don’t think the TV was up to date enough to have one. The hotel wasn’t as sketchy as the late night crowd of the neighborhood, but that’s a story for another time.
I went on a bit of a walk about around Sydney on one of my only free days.
The world famous Bondi Beach

It's as soft and hot as it looks
Does it get any better than this?
Some of the coolest water fountains riddle the city.
Archibold fountain in Hyde Park

I walked from my hotel down through a couple of cool parks and then through the Royal Botanical Gardens of Sydney, which was amazing!

Charles Fraser Statue
Just thoght his was a cool looking tree.
That s one crazy looking tree.
I really took the picture for the golfcart in the background.
Government House... or castle.
The ugliest birds I've ever seen... look close.

Getting in touch with my artistic side.

Man Made Bat-Cave 
Other side of an-made bat cave.
Close up of the bat cave. 
Yet another man made bat cave
A brief history of the Gardens: It all began in 1788 when Governor Phillip established Australia’s first farm, Farm Cove. In 1816 Governor Macquarie as part of the Governor’s Domain founded the Botanic Gardens of Sydney on this site. Charles Fraser was appointed as the first Colonial Botanist in 1817, establishing the Botanic Gardens as the oldest scientific institution in Australia.

Sydney Opera House with Harbour Bridge in the background.
While on my walk-about through Sydney Hunter Cammo decided he wanted to get in on the action. So I snapped a ton of pics of Hunter Cammo hanging out by the Opera House, the Sydney Harbour Bridge, and many works of Sydney art (Hunter Cammo Fancies himself and art connoisseur).
Hunter Cammo photo shoot To be continued...

Fast forward to the last day:
I've had such a blast down here getting to see all of the sights and meet some of the coolest people in the entire world! I want to thank Marc and all his mates who made me feel right at home in a land so far, far, far, far, far, far....so far away you lose a day!

It went so well down here, we're sending Animal and Maverick back down to rock out the Royal Easter Fair in Sydney which will spring board the Myachi Movement in Australia. Apparently, 1million people will wonder through the fair in a matter of 2 weeks! Stay tuned for updates from the two of them from April 11-27.

Of course I didn't take enough pictures or video or do enough things, but the memories I have will live on with me. Also, it'll give me a good reason to return to the land Down Under! Good Onya Mate.


Last day in Sydney, AU. Little park in Kings Cross.
Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment