Friday, April 8, 2011

Mismade Myachis

by Crazy Ivan

After writing today about the Triple Stitch series, it got me thinking about some of the other mistakes, mismakes and errors I've seen in Myachis before.  I hesitate to even write this entry because I'm basically calling attention to our own screw-ups, but they're few and far between enough that I think it's more of a novelty than anything else.

I actually keep a collection of mismade sacks at the House of Skills and unfortunately I couldn't find all of the ones I wanted to write about when I was heading in this morning.  I have a couple of Myachis that were accidentaly made without power loops, which is probably the most common mismake.  I also have an FAO Holly that has the tag sewn in backwards (so that Myachi is written on the back and the glyph is on the front).  I was hoping to include pics in the blog but I was running late this morning so I guess that'll have to wait.

But I did bring along a few of my mismade Blister Packs.  They're easier to find (since they're hanging on my bedroom wall) so I do have a few pics to go along with those.  I have 5 altogether, but I only brought 3 with me today:

 #1) Missing Oval

The Oval is the part of the package that sits above the Myachi and the finger knugz.  It's there to keep the Myachis from bunching up on the shelves and makes them easier to pack and ship without the carboard getting bent.

Of course, a big oval of plastic would look a bit silly in there so we put a little white oval of cardboard in there with the Myachi name and Glyph.  Or at least, we usually do:


This was the first mismake we found on a Crazy Ivan package so naturally I swiped it.
Obviously this is pretty small potatos when it come to a packaging error, but every mismake is valued.  This is, after all, the only Twilight ever made without a carboard oval in the package.  Or at least, to the best of our knowledge it is.

 #2) Inverted Oval

Of course, sometimes the oval makes it in just fine but it doesn't make it in there in the proper orientation.  This Myachi Man Red Spot will show you exactly what I mean:


Like a 3.2X Red Spot wouldn't be awesome enough just for being a 3.2X Red Spot...
We've probably seen this mistake more than any other, though it is still pretty rare.  I've seen maybe 8 of them in my time with Myachi and in that time we've made well over half a million of these suckers.  That means that we're getting the oval upside down about 0.000016% of the time.

Of course, we're not examining every single one so the number coudl be much higher, but even if it's four times as much, that's a pretty miniscule number.

 #3) Inverted Everything Except the Oval

The most spectacular mismakes we've seen to date involve completely inverting the whole cardboard back.  This happens very rarely and when it does the Myachis almost never go on sale.  We keep pretty good tabs on those and we've even had vendors send Myachis back to us because of this error:


Maybe we could sell these ones in Australia...
This one actually did make it out into the stores, though.  Animal saw it hagning on the shelves of a 7-11 in Manhattan and snatched it up.  He gave it to me because he knows I've got a pretty extensive collection of mismades and he wanted to help me complete it.  And before you ask, yes, Animal is awesome enough to give away something priceless just to help me complete a collection.

-----

Avid Myachi collectors are always on the look out for the older series.  I've heard many stories of kids on vacation wandering in to random toy stores and hoping that they would find an older series.  Once in a blue moon they actually find some, but more often they just get a store owner staring at them blankly and saying "What's a Myachi?"

I've heard from a number of people that wandered into a store with high hopes and then got disappointed because the store only carried the more recent series.  I always ask them if they checked for mismakes.

Finding a mismade Blister Pack is truly a diamond in the rough.  It is one of the most prized commodities in the world of Myachi collecting and when you get them, you almost always get them for regular price.  When you find a store that has Myachis, especially if you're in a town that isn't a big Myachi town, always check over as many Myachis as you can.

Look for the mistakes I pointed out above.  You'll notice an upside down card stock right away but be sure to check the oval as well.  Another relatively common mismake is missing Finger Knugz so be sure to be on the look out for that as well.

And if you find something truly amazing that is genuinely one of a kind, keep it in a prized location high above the rest of your collection.  Or do what Animal did and just give it to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment