Saturday, June 4, 2011

My Dilemma (or What would Monk do?)

by Crazy Ivan

If I had to describe Monk in one word I would say "winner".  I don't know that I've ever met a person who so easily steps up to the challenge when a competition is offered.  The ice water seems to flow through his veins when most of us would be buckling under the pressure and the more important the moment, the better he is.

And he plays dirty.

I feel alright saying that because in a lot of ways, I think Monk is pretty proud of that fact.  He might deny that he "plays dirty", but that's only semantic.  He would agree with me if I were to say it another way, for example, "Monk takes every tactical advantage imaginable, including some that others might reject out of a sense of civility".

To give you an example of what I mean, we had to enact certain rules in MYACH because Monk got so good at figuring out ways to do the move you described in a way that was far easier than the way you did them.  If you neglected to call something like "from the back of your hand", he might do the same move with his finger (way easier on flexibility moves) and leave you facepalming as you saw him defend a tough move with an easy variation.

If you asked Monk, I think he'd simply say he does what he has to do to win.

So now I find myself in a situation where I'm wondering whether to do the same.  As many of you know, I recently challenged all the Myachi Masters to a shred-video contest.  We talked about it a few times and finalized everything at our meeting a week and a half ago.  We all agreed on the rules and we all agreed on the date.  Videos had to be in by Tuesday the 7th.

Well, here it is only a few days shy of that date and I'm starting to think most (if not all) of the guys have forgotten all about it.  Nobody's mentioned it and I haven't seen anyone working on a video.  If I had to guess, I'd assume Bones was all over this because he's been wanting to do a Shred-Video contest for a while, but I'm starting to wonder if anyone else remembered that we were supposed to have them in by Tuesday.

And therein lies my dilemma.  I could remind everyone today and give them a few days to put something together...

But I don't think that's what Monk would do.  I think he would remind everyone on Monday evening after he finished polishing off the editing of his own video.  I think he would give everybody just enough time to put together a video, but not enough time to put together a video as good as his.

So what should I do?  Well, the fact that I'm writing this says a lot.  I know Animal, Bones and a couple of the other guys read it regularly, so I'm tipping my hand to them a bit.  Obviously the idea here isn't so much to win as it is to make sure that the coolest possible videos get posted for the sake of our loyal subscribers.  But all that being said, I still want to win.

So what would Monk do?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, like you said, Monk would leave reminding you guys to the last possible second. That being said, I think you should be the bigger man ans remind everyone in the contest about it.

    ReplyDelete