Friday, June 10, 2011

Go Mavericks!

by Crazy Ivan

To be perfectly honest, I'm not a big basketball fan.  And when I am, I'm certainly not a Mavericks fan.  I grew up in Detroit so I root for the Pistons.  I lived in Illinois during MJ's heyday so I occasionally root for the Bulls.  If I had to pick a favorite NBA player it would probably be Dwayne Wade.  And if I had to pick a least favorite city when it comes to sports teams, Dallas would be right behind Boston (sorry Dallas readers, but I hate the Cowboys!).

So why am I rooting for the Mavericks?  Why did I go nuts when they won last night?  Why do I go into game 6 with my fingers crossed and Nowitzki's name on my lips?

Well, it's a simple business issue.  See, if the Heat win, we're going to run out of Heat Myachis.  They've been popular sellers all year and we're already having trouble keeping the Lebron ones in stock.  Dallas, not so much.

Not many people were picking the Mavs as a favorite to go all the way today, but Kid Myach knows his basketball.  When we were deciding which teams and players to order during the off season last year, Kid was careful to include a Dallas sack and a Nowitzki sack.  I asked him why.  He said "Because they've got a real shot this year."

Keep in mind that if the Mavericks win, most every vendor of NBA licenced merch will probably be running out immediately after.  You just don't make a lot of product for a team that you don't expect to win.  It'll be like trying to find Giants swag after they took out the Patriots in Superbowl XLII (and let's take a moment to appreciate what an awesome moment that was).  If you recall, in the days following their Cinderella victory, it was all but impossible to find hats or shirts with the G-Men logo.

Of course, where there's a will there's a way so within a few days, shirt and hat manufacturers step up production and get merchandise back on the shelves, but when you have to make something quick, it costs a lot of money.  This means that they end up making less and less money on each shirt they sell.

Unless, of course, they have a precognitive basketball fan like Kid Myach on their payroll, in which case they'd be sitting on a stockpile of Nowitzki stuff all ready to go.

So if you're not a big basketball fan or at least not a big Heat fan, help out the movement.  Root for Dallas!

2 comments:

  1. Great point, but I think it's spelled dWane wade. I just want to see a well played series

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not, but thanks for the head's up. I did have it misspelled, though. It's corrected now.

    ReplyDelete