Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Wednesday Night Brawl

by Crazy Ivan

For most people Wednesday is the day to dread.  They call it hump day because it's right in the middle of the week.  The lingering feeling of relaxation from last weekend has already left you and the relaxation of next weekend is too far away to see.  I was unable to find any hard numbers, but I'd venture to say that on the average, Wednesday is the second most hated day of the week after Monday.

If you're not a Myachi Master, that is.

Couple of reasons I like Wednesdays more than most.  First off, my weekend isn't on Saturday and Sunday.  I'm always at the office all weekend and when I take days off they're usually on Monday and Tuesday.  So in a sense, Wednesday is my Monday.

Of course, by the normal standard, this means that I should like it less than most people, but I like my job more than most people so I'm usually pretty stoked about going back to work.

But there's another reason I like Wednesdays and that started pretty recently: The Wednesday Night brawls.

Most of the regular readers here already know about this weekly ritual we do, but it occured to me this morning that I've yet to mention it here on the blog.  So for those who just said, "The Wednesday Night what?", allow me to explain.

The Myachi community is pretty spread out.  Sure, there are hot spots here and there.  NYC is kind of the hub of Myachi activity (probably related to all the Myachi Masters living there), but there are die hard fans all over the country (and other countries) so the only way we can really get together is online.

We've done that over the Myachi Forum for years, but last year we also set up a video chat and we would occasionally hop on and play games of MYACH, show off our collections, make trades and teach each other new tricks.  This was all pretty haphazard at first so you'd hop on and sometimes there would be one other person there, sometimes there would be eight.

Then about four months ago we made things official and started the Wednesday Night brawls.  We even put it on the schedule so that every Wednesday night between 6 and 9 pm (est) there would be a couple of Myachi Masters hanging out, answering questions, judging MYACH games and just generally showing off.  In fact, on the Myachi schedule, it actually says "brawl" under somebody's name every Wednesday.

I always look forward to these nights, but I'm particularly looking forward to this one.  Last week's brawl was something of a disappointment.  I was battling a cold (and losing), Maverick was stuck at FAO for an event and didn't make it until mad late and not many Maniacs showed up.

If the brief history of the Wednesday Night Brawl is anything to go by, that means that this week will be awesome.  The slow weeks always seem to be followed up by busy ones.  I'm back to 100% (okay, 93.2% but that's as much as I get these days) and I've got Monk scheduled to rock it out with me tonight.  I'm even hoping for a surprise visit from a few unnamed Myachi Masters that may or may not be there.

So if you'd like to help make my prediction come true, hop on tinychat between 6 and 9 tonight (that's East Coast time).  If you've got a webcam you can jump in on some MYACH games but if you don't you can still text chat with everybody and watch a few of the games best throw down in epic tournaments.

Hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment