Friday, March 11, 2011

Stolen Myachis

by Crazy Ivan


I can't begin to calculate how many Myachis I've had stolen from me through the years and even if I could I probably wouldn't want to.  The Blue Dragon that was stolen and reclaimed by a vigilant fanatic, the yummiest example of a Diggity I've ever seen wandering away in Virginia Beach... the Electric Orange Shag that the seagulls stole from us in the video embedded below:

(the real action starts at 1:46 when kid tempts them.  At 1:52 you can clearly see a beak to beak pass and at 2:10 they actually return in relatively unscathed and covered in beak slobber.)



If I had to estimate, I'd have to say I've had more Myachis stolen from me than I currently have in my collection.  If I include all the demos that have disappeared the number is probably in the thousands.  When I was new at my job it really ticked me off.  I got frustrated because, well, people were stealing from me.

Eventually I learned to console myself with the fact that even a stolen Myachi gets played with.  If somebody was stoked about the game enough to steal one at least they'll probably teach a few people to play and maybe those people will be more honest in their Myachi acquisitions.  Maybe we'll earn the money on the sack back that way.

After most of a decade doing this thing I've become pretty numb to the whole ordeal.  Myachis come, Myachis go.  Nowadays it only gets under my skin if somebody gets one of my rare ones from the office.

Or if it's screwing up my plans.

At this school we did the last couple of days there was very little theft.  Some schools are terrible about swiping your Myachis.  You go in with 200 and you walk out with 50 and the last group of kids has to share.  That sucks for everyone and that one gets to me a bit as well.

That actually started to happen at the school today.  It was really just this one class, but a bunch of Myachis got stolen through it and our box was starting to dwindle to nothing.  We had some big classes coming up of 70+ kids and I was starting to worry that we wouldn't have enough sacks to finish the day.

So I grumbled to one of the gym teachers, "Man, I'm afraid we're gonna run out.  We had a bunch of them wander off in that last class."

Now I really wish I hadn't said that.

See, in the next class somebody tried to steal one of my Myachis but now the gym teachers were hawk-eyeing them.  When it came time to pass them back in this dude just sat on his Myachi and when we thought we had all of them he got up and slipped it into his pocket.

Coach was too vigilant for him though.  She caught him red handed, got the Myachi back and sent him to the principal's office.  Half an hour later I find out that he got suspended for 3 days.

3 days over a Myachi seems kind of harsh to me so I'm assuming he'd been in some trouble before or something, but I felt terrible after that.  I kind of wished I hadn't said anything and just gotten one more sack stolen today.  I ruined that guy's whole day over one common...

Not sure what, if anything, I'd have done differently if I could have rewound the day (which would be awesome because it was a really cool day).  After they told me what happened I started warning everyone as I was handing out the Myachis that somebody got suspended for 3 days for trying to steal one so maybe making the example out of him saved me a ton of sacks by the end of the day.

Who knows, but one way or the other I feel like a snitch for getting this kid sent down the river.  So if anybody from Wisdom Lane is reading this blog and knows who the guy is let him know that if there was a way to not press charges on a school suspension I totally would have stepped in for him.

2 comments:

  1. Although it was just one common, it's really the principle of it. Kid's need to learn a lesson at a early age.

    3 days is a lot yea, but I guess like you said that wasn't his first trip to the principals office.

    I just hope the teacher talks to the class that walked away with all those myachis next time they have class.

    ~Rotscale

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure. I'm sure if it was a first offense they wouldn't have gone to such an extreme and you're right on the larger point as well. Better he get suspended for 3 days from school and learn the lesson that way than keep stealing stuff until he has to learn the lesson by doing a few years in jail.

    ReplyDelete