Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Commercial is Coming...

by Crazy Ivan

Pretty exciting moment.  I had to leave the office for a few hours to drop some product off to be repacked.  Two hours of traffic in and around the airport and I came back to HQ pretty ready to chill.  I was back for all of 5 seconds before I was at maximum amperage once again.

Seems that the rough cut of the commercial came in while I was gone.

This is the first we've seen of it and it's way less cheesy than I was afraid it would be.  Of course, I was afraid it would be as cheesy as the Fushigi commercial so it didn't have to be all that cool to exceed my expectations.  It did rhyme, which screams cheese, but the actual shots they got were mostly really cool.  There are, of course, a few things I hoped to see that we didn't.

One was this awesome girl with mad skills that we call Jazz in the world of Myachi.  She's in the commercial for a second and even has a line, but there's no footage of her pulling off her outside, toe, instep stall.  Pretty impressive, especially when you consider that she's 9 years old.  She made the final cut, but her awesome trick didn't and that was kind of disappointing.

Mantis also didn't make the cut.  Well... his hand is in the video but you never actually see him.  They did a few really cool shots where they strapped a "Go-Cam" to his arm and had him throw down a few moves.  Turned out great, but I would've loved to see his 4 Myachi juggle or even just a short jam.

There were a bunch of other cats that made it for the filming but didn't make the final cut and I can imagine how disappointed they will be.  Heck, I understand completely since I'm the only Myachi Master that didn't make the cut either.  All that being said, we're pretty stoked about the commercial.

Cheesiness was a foregone conclusion.  There's no avoiding cheesiness when you're making a commercial for a toy.  I dare you to find a toy commercial on Nickelodeon that's not at least kind of cheesy.  I guess we all felt like if they got the point of the game across, Myachi could overcome the cheese.

And I think it does.  It shows a few kids learning how to play down in Florida (all of whom got more camera time than the folks that actually auditioned), it shows a few veterans throwing down some tough stuff and it shows a few Masters hitting some of the best tricks in the game.

In case your curious, when I say best tricks in the game, I mean it.  When the commercial airs, be on the look out for two incredible highlights:

  1. Animal throwing down a Matrix Unleashed in slow-mo
  2. Maverick hitting a Crypto-Triple Split into a juggle
I have to admit that they could have filled the entire rest of the commercial with shots of me and I never would have managed the wow factor these guys pulled off.

As soon as we have a firm airdate, I'll mention it on the blog, on Facebook, on Twitter, on the Forum and I'll probably also shout it from the rooftops just to be sure.  Until then, you'll just have to wait in palpable suspense.

2 comments:

  1. Thats awesome! Where was the commercial shot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We shot in a few locations, most of them in Long Island. We filmed at the HQ, we filmed at somebody's house and we shot at North Shore Middle School. Myachi Man also did some additional "man on the street" filming down in Florida. They also pulled a couple of clips from the original commercial shoot, so it seems when you're watching it like we filmed for weeks...

    ReplyDelete