Monday, May 23, 2011

Myachigon Tribute Contest

by Crazy Ivan

As many of you know, today is the last day that the Myachigon will grace the floors of FAO Shwarz.  Kid, Myachi Man, Monk, Mav, Animal, Bones, Noodles and I will be disassembling her this evening and taking her constituent parts to Myachi HQ and a few other places.  Gone will be her 6 big screen TVs, gone will be the jamcams, gone will be the altar of Myachi Mania that has graced 5th Avenue for more that 2 years.

It will be a labor of love tonight and I should admit that it's going to break my heart taking her down.  I just have too many memories there for me not to feel pretty nostalgic about the whole ordeal.  What's more is that I think my emotions about this probably reflect the emotions of most everyone in the Myachi universe.

So I thought we should have a little contest as a tribute to the Myachigon.  I thought about it last night and at first I was thinking it should be a poetry contest; everyone write a poem about how they'll miss the Myachigon and vote on the best one.  But then I thought about the fact that some people probably stink at writing poetry so I figured maybe it would be a poetry or prose contest.  But of course, many of our readers are more visually creative so I also considered doing an art contest.  While I was arguing with myself about that, I thought of all the people who've taken video at the Gon and wondered if maybe we should have a video contest instead.

What I finally settled on was simple a "creativity" contest.  So here's the concept:

Make a tribute to the Myachigon.  It can be anything you want.  It could be a drawing, a poem, a photoshop, a true story, a fictional story, a collage, a sculpture... whatever you want.  There is no limit to your creativity here.  You could even do a combination of the above (for example, a video slideshow where each picture corresponds to a different line of your poem).  The key is to do what you're best at and be as creative as possible.

The winner will be the most original entry.

There will be a prize for the first place winner only in this contest (sorry, I'm over budget on prize sacks).  It will be a semi-rare sack that will be either (a) a 4.0 Myachi in Blister since that's the series we had on the shelves when we opened the Myachigon or (b) a really cool Myachi or two that we find under the pillars when we break down the Myachigon.

I'll fill you in on the prizes tomorrow, but for now, here are the rules:
  • Entries must be received by the 2nd of June, so the cut off is midnight the night of the 1st.
  • You can submit your entry in a number of ways. Entries can be emailed to crazyivan@myachi.com, they can be sent to me via pm on the Myachi Forum or, in the case of videos, etc., you can simply upload them to a sharing site and email or pm me the link.  If you have an entry that can't be submitted in one of those ways, email or pm me and we'll figure out how to get your entry counted.
  • You can enter multiple times.  Limit of 5 entries per person, but if you do a really great job with 1 entry, that probably gives you better odds of winning than doing a half-hearted job on 5 entries.
  • Entries will be judged on creativity and quality by a panel of Myachi Masters.  Judges decisions are final.
  • The winner will be announced by 6 pm on June 3rd.  There will only be a prize for the top winner, but I will probably publish the best runners up as well.
If you have any questions about the contest, feel free to contact me or just leave your question in the comments section below.

1 comment: