Tuesday, May 3, 2011

My Trick of the Day Dilemma

by Crazy Ivan


As many, most or all of you know, every weekday I upload a new instructional Myachi video to You-Tube.  We started doing the "Trick of the Day" back in November of last year but at first we just used the trick videos we already had on YouTube.  That ran out pretty quickly so in January I began adding new videos and have been doing so ever since.

Early on, we started doing themes for each week so that all the tricks would compliment one another throughout the week.  This also allowed me to make each move progressively harder than the last, though that has led to the inevitable arguments about the comparative difficulty of some tricks.

But there's another problem that the theme has created that I didn't foresee, which leads me to my present dilemma.  Namely, there are too darned many tricks.


Not the type of Trix I was talking about...

A few weeks ago I had a Maniac request a particular move for the Trick of the Day video.  The Butterfly Stall to be exact.  I knew that was a super popular move that should really be enshrined in the Trick of the Day but at the time I'd already planned out the next couple of weeks worth of themes and there was nowhere to stick it in.

Eventually I decided to do a week on "Step Over" variations and sneak the Butterfly Stall in somewhere at the end.  Technically the Butterfly isn't a Step-Over variation, but I reasoned that since I couldn't think of 5 Step Over variations off hand that I would need to augment the week with something else.

But then the week came and by then I'd had a lot more time to think about various Step Over variations.  Turned out that I was far from having the "not-enough-to-fill-the-week" problem.  Instead, I found myself in the far more common position of "not-enough-week-for-all-the-tricks" conundrum.

So now I'm seeing that there's no way I can squeeze the Butterfly Stall into the tricks this week.  Instead, I'll be doing a theme on "Clipper Variations" in an upcoming week and I'll probably use both the Butterfly Stall and the Butterfly Kick along with some of the other much beloved ways of making the already challenging Clipper Delay even more challenging.

Again, not the Buttefly Stall we were talking about...
Of course, I don't want to follow up a week of foot tricks with another week of foot tricks so I'll have to wait at least another week and a half before I get started on these moves.  On top of that I've got at least half a dozen themes I put off so that I could get this "Step Over" variation week in.

It's funny that when I first suggested that we start doing a trick of the day, the majority concern would be that we might run out of tricks to describe.  I heard that concern voiced by Maniacs, business partners and even Myachi Masters (who should know better).  Nobody ever voiced a concern that there wouldn't be enough days in the week.

I'm writing this article because I feel like I should explain to those people who have sent requests (sometimes repeated requests) for particular tricks on the "Trick of the Day".  It's not that I'm ignoring you or sticking your ideas on the back burner, it's just that I already have a huge back log of themes and tricks that I've still got to do for people that made requests before you.

Perhaps one week soon I'll just play catch up and have a week where the theme is "Tricks I Should Have Uploaded Long Ago" so that I can just knock out 5 of them without worrying about the theme.  Until then, I apologize and appreciate your patience.

2 comments:

  1. Love the butterfly stall picture. I would miss that in a game of MYACH.

    P.S. Tried the 3 on 3 fu battle game at NEST today and the kids were having tons of fun. Of course it was a little more free than a regulated game but the results were the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome to hear... Now we need to try it!

    ReplyDelete