Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown Down

by Crazy Ivan

Last week I wrote about an awesome website that I'd stumbled across that allows visitors to post videos of world records.  I made a call to action from the Myachi community to flood the site with Myachi records (and a few people responded).  I then went home and showed the site to the House of Skills and everybody agreed that it was exactly the kind of site made for us.

It's a relatively young site so there are plenty of huge categories of tricks that haven't been added yet.  Mav and Animal immediately started thinking about longboarding records they could try to set.  Monk came up with some cool ideas for flair based records.  I just stared at the huge collection of skill toys on the side of the room.

My first thought was to use as many of them as possible in a minute.  Animal and I discussed my plan of attack and we tried using them in a few different orders and combinations.  We filmed it three times altogether, but by the end of it, we came up with this video:



Well, no surprise, it didn't take long for somebody to give my new record a day in court.  My new friend Brian (who inadvertently alerted me to the site's existence in the first place) wanted to show off his skill toy collection too, so he put up a video where he used 23 different skill toys in 60 seconds.

There was some question as to whether all of them counted, but to be fair, their is a similar question as to whether I spun the basketball long enough to consider it "in control" as well.  It doesn't help that the ball itself is all but off camera throughout the finger spin.

Given the questionable nature of a few of our toy usages, it could be said that both of us are actually tied at 19 toys a piece.  But in reality, he has the record and I don't.  Even if it were officially marked as a tie I wouldn't be comfortable with that.  I need to up the ante.  The gauntlet, as they say, has been thrown down.

I've got a lot of items in my in-box, not the least of which is this blog and getting the Trick of the Day videos under control, but I can't let his 23 toys record stand.  I'm careful about how I phrase this because the guy who broke my record and I have way too many common interests to be anything but friends, but there's nothing wrong with a friendly rivalry here and there.

So be on the lookout for my next record breaking video in the near future.  And, while you're at it, be on the lookout for Brian Pankey's record breaking-breaking video shortly after that.

2 comments:

  1. check this out (im the science fair guy) i smashed his ne record by 10!



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyd_CI0d8JA

    thanks

    ReplyDelete