Thursday, September 8, 2011

North Shore Jam

by Crazy Ivan

Just got finished with our engagement at North Shore Middle School and since I know that several of the students there are also avid readers of this blog (shout out to Momo and Shamrock!), I figured I'd give a quick recap.

We've been doing gym classes for several years now and they are consistently the most fun assignments we do in Myachi.  But this one was unique; it was the first time we ever did the same school two years in a row.

It was a bit different.  Most of the students already knew the game and had some sick skill.  Even most of the 6th graders who were new to the school were familiar with Myachi, as it was big in all the elementary schools they were coming from.  I actually felt bad for the sprinkling of kids who were seeing the game for the first time today.  They were learning Cold Fusion and Under the Leg while others were learning Double Wolverines and Flying Clippers.

Today's crew consisted of Kid, Animal, Monk and myself, but we were only able to teach half the student body today.  Tomorrow we'll be back to teach the rest of them and I'm looking forward to it.  I'll be fresh off of watching the first football game of the season (and hopefully watching my fantasy TE racking up some points), but more than that I'm back in the swing of things.  It was a little weird going back into a school after almost 4 months of hiatus.  But by 3rd period today I was back in the groove and went into auto-pilot.

There's one more reason I'm stoked about it.  I met a really cool kid at the school who, in addition to being a Myachi prodigy, also professed a love for juggling.  He wasn't in our class today, but he'll be there tomorrow... and he promised to bring his juggling pins.

Sorry I didn't update the blog earlier and sorry the trick of the day is running so late, but sometimes the duties of a Myachi Master stack up.  Luckily we jugglers are used to doing half a dozen things at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment