Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Going Back to School

by Crazy Ivan

Well, it's only fair.  Nearly everyone who reads this blog had to go back to school in the last couple of weeks so there's no reason why I should be exempt.  We just got the official word yesterday but it looks like Kid, Monk, Animal and I will spend the next couple of days doing my absolute favorite assignment in Myachidom: Gym class.

When I was in school I wasn't a big fan of gym.  I loved to play dodge ball and I was pretty stoked when we did anything basketball related, but most of the days it would just be running track or learning about nutrition or something like that.  I can say that in 12 years of gym classes, I never got to anything as fun as spending a whole day playing Myachi.

But that's what the lucky students at North Shore Middle School can look forward to on Thursday and Friday.  We're taking over the gym and planting the Myachi flag smack in the middle of it.  We'll spend the day teaching tricks, having contests, giving away prizes and showing off.  On the whole, that's even more fun than dodge ball.

We actually did the same thing at the same school last year so this year we'll have the added benefit of many of the students already knowing some tricks and having some skills.  There will be 6th graders that were in elementary school last year along with plenty of students that moved into the area or transferred schools since last year, but I'd expect that the majority of the people we meet this week will already know the game and at least know a few basic tricks.  This will allow us to crank things up a bit and teach some much tougher stuff than we did last year.  It also opens new doors when it comes to contests as well.

Schools are always the most fun venues for Myachi.  You've got a captive audience so unlike FAO Shwarz or Dollywood there aren't any roller coasters or giant pianos competing with us for attention.  What's more is that we're dealing with people who are fresh out of Algebra class and about to head to Geography so they're always eager to have as much fun as humanly possible.

I'll give a recap tomorrow or Friday once the whole thing wraps up, but I thought I should warn our loyal readers that the blog won't be updated tomorrow afternoon (I'll try to get something up in the morning though) as I'll be in the middle of teaching a class at that time.  The Trick of the Day video will also be coming in a bit later than usual, but probably no later than yesterday's.

No comments:

Post a Comment