Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Whoops!

by Crazy Ivan

I Started doing the trick of the day back in December, but at that point I was just linking videos that Myachi had already uploaded.  We already had a few dozen moves so I figured I'd mix them in with some of the maniac-submitted videos and we'd be able to put together a new trick every day.

That didn't last long, of course, so before long I had to start recording new videos.  That began on January 12th of this year so I've been at it 5 times a week for 238 days.  That's a total of nearly 170 moves altogether.

I'd love to say that this has been an error free streak, but I'd be lying if I did.  There have been (to my knowledge) 4 errors thus far, the most recent of which was yesterday:
  • The Samurai: I never even mentioned this, but after I recorded the Samurai video I looked back and saw that I'd messed the trick up.  My brain had fuzzed out or something and I did (essentially) a Drop of Death from a Cradle.  The Samurai is supposed to grind down from a Mantis.  I've got a video up showing a completely different move.
  • The Missing Trick: On the week I first returned from Tennessee we were doing one-fingered tricks.  With all the driving, unpacking and catching up, I completely missed a day.  I promised to make up for it over the weekend but I didn't have my camera.  By the time I did it was too late to get the trick up in the same week so it never went up.
  • The Grasshopper: Just spaced on the name on this one.  There's a move similar to the Grasshopper called the "Flying Guppy" and when I did the trick I misidentified it.  I said it wrong on the video, I titled it wrong and even loaded it into You-Tube wrong.  Went back and changed what I could, but it will still serve to confuse anyone watching it.
  • The Melon Stall: This was yesterday's trick.  When I was putting together the update on the Tricktionary I noticed that I still didn't have a video for this basic move, which was why I did upper body stalls this week.  I put up the Melon Stall video yesterday just to be reminded that I actually have already put up a video for that move a few months ago.  I filmed a rerun.
I suppose that 4 mistakes in 238 days isn't the worst record we could have.  That's an average of one mess up every 8 and a half weeks.  Once every couple of months.  With these numbers I could easily just brush it off as human fallibility and be on my merry way.  Except for one thing: 3 of these errors have been in the last 19 days.

After a single error in 8 months I manage better than one per week!  I can only imagine how chaotic this whole thing is going to get if I let this slide continue.  I'll wind up posting tricks backwards or something before it's all over.

So here's the deal: I'm going to redouble my efforts here and turn over a new Trick of the Day leaf.  No more errors from here on out.  I've got a super busy week this week so I probably won't be able to enact this right away, but I'm going to fix the four errors listed above.  I'm going to refilm the Samurai video, add another one fingered trick and refilm the Grasshopper and call it by the correct name.  Too late to do anything about the Melon Stall video, but since I repeated a trick I suppose I owe everyone another move this week anyway.  I hope to have this all done by week's end but with a big school event coming up Thursday and Friday I may have to wait until the middle of next week.

...Hopefully I won't have screwed up again by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment