Friday, February 11, 2011

Reasons Why I Love My Job #31

When people ask me what I do for a living I never know what to say.  If I were a nurse or a carpenter or an astronaut I could dispense with their inquiry in a single word, but if I say "Myachi Master" it doesn't exactly get me off the hook.  If I say I'm the VP of Human Resources for a Toy Company it doesn't remotely explain the truth.

Of course, the obvious answer is to tell the truth, but when I do that, I feel like I'm bragging.  Besides, when someone asks you what you do for a living they don't want your biography.  They want it short and sweet.  There's really no way that I've found to do justice to my job in 20 words or less.

But today a new way to describe my job occurred to me and I figured I would share it with you (and the other people who end up reading this... but you're the one I really wanted to tell).  Today was one of those weird kind of 100 places at once days but it seems like the itinerary of my actions is as good a microcosm as any for the larger question of what, exactly, a Myachi Master does for a living.

I should mention before hand that this is by no means typical.  Some of this is stuff I do everyday and some of it is stuff I do once a month and some of it is stuff I do once a year.  It would be misleading to say that anything really comprises a "typical" day in my job...

4:30 a.m.: Wake Up.  Apparently there's a 4:30 a.m.  Who knew?


5:30 a.m.: Head out to Javitz Center to deliver display stuff for Toy Fair.

6:30 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.: Unloading and setting up our awesome Toy Fair display (or rather, watching Union guys and gals do it).

10:30 a.m.: Breakfast w/ Kid Myach

12:00 p.m.: Write Blog re: JOTYA winners... discover that I screwed up DGH and Mantis' prizes (sorry)

1:00 p.m.: Drop Blog (don't believe the lies it tells you about when I'm publishing these things), film Trick of Day with Monk.

2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.: Try to hit that awesome Dragon Punch that Monk did on the Trick of the Day video today.  Manage about 4 clean catches...

3:30 p.m.: Clean up, head out to Manhattan to meet up with Bones and Bamboo.

4:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.: Did filming with Bones and Bamboo all over the city for upcoming awesome video project.

7:00 p.m.: Meet up with Monk and Mav at the Myachigon

7:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.: Did filming with Bones, Bamboo, Monk and Mav for upcoming awesome video project.

9:30 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.: Watched awesome raw footage for the aforementioned upcoming awesome video project.

10:30 p.m. - I don't know yet: Wrote this blog.
I don't know yet - I can no longer physically force my eyes to stay open: Watch more of that raw footage and start trimming a few clips.

So by some measures, I worked for some 18 hours today.  By more reasonable metrics, I did no work at all today.  Sure, waking up at 4:30 in the morning pretty much sucks no matter what, but when your job is to play all day it could be worse.

(More on upcoming awesome video project later...)

2 comments:

  1. I can not wait for aforementioned upcoming awesome video project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shot of you doing the pendulum off the subway wall was epic. Your close up hand shred on the subway will also be something of a highlight. Made the other masters jealous when they saw it.

    ReplyDelete