Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Meet the Masters

by Rush

This is the story of how Apprentice Myachi Master Rush came to be:
It was a warm Sunday in April. I had just gotten a new long board and was looking to test it out. Every Sunday, the boarding company meets up at 59th street Columbus Circle for a group skate. I had gotten off the train and was waiting for the street light to change when I saw this guy with a mohawk.
Not only did he have a long board too, but it had the same design as mine. He was alone and looked a little lost as well, so I decided to talk to him. He introduced himself as "Animal", and I was slightly confused. Who calls themselves Animal, I thought, but I paid no mind.
It was his first group skate too so we decided to stick together. I asked him what he did for a living. He said he worked for Myachi. What the heck is Myachi?, I asked. He pulled out a Myachi hand sack from his pocket and told me all about it as he did all these amazing tricks with it. It was only then when I realized that he did the same for me 2 years ago at the Toys R Us in Times Square.
"I gotta get one of my own!" I said. He pulled another one from his bag and threw it to me.
"Here", he said, "Work on your skills."
I looked at the sack he gave me, a Woodstock Blue, and said "Thanks"... It was the only thing I could think of. The rest is history.
PS I still have that Woodstock Blue to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment