Sunday, July 3, 2011

Myachi Arm Wrestling

by Crazy Ivan

So the other day I'm talking to Rush about my favorite Myachi games and I mentioned Myachi Arm Wrestling.  Much to my surprise he just responded with a blank stare and a quick "what's that?"

I thought it odd that I'd never shown the game to him before so we played a quick round.  Then it occurred to me that Rush is a regular reader of this blog and if he'd never heard about it, I must have never blogged about it.  So last night I went back through the blog and confirmed it.  And it surprises me since it's one of my favorite Myachi games.

One reason is that it's so simple to explain.  Two competitors face off.  They stand so that the outside of their right feet are touching and then place the backs of their right hands together with a Myachi in between.  The object is to touch your opponents palm to his or her leg using the strength of your arm.  Obviously, they're attempting to do the same to you.

It's a real full arm work out and when you get good at you quickly discover that much of the game is just about redirecting your opponent's energy.  To demonstrate the game, I talked Bones into playing a quick round with me while Rush taped it.  Seemed like the only real way to explain the game:



Couple of quick notes.  If the Myachi falls, the round is over.  If it was clearly one players fault, that player loses.  If it was a mutual thing, the round is a scratch and you simply play again.  If, during a battle, the Myachi gets twisted in such a way that it will be difficult to keep it up, you reset, place the Myachi back where it belongs and start again.

1 comment:

  1. Reminds of a game called Touche. Essentially the same thing except no myachi, and your hands are linked as if doing a arm wrestling match but with your pointer finger extended. The object is to touch your finger to the other person's leg or torso. Much fun :-)

    ReplyDelete