Tuesday, July 5, 2011

How Bad It's Gotten

by Crazy Ivan

Before I got to Tennessee, I had grand plans for this assignment.  I'd just do Dollywood for 12+ hours and then come home, film a trick of the day video, hop on the forum, answer our Facebook messages, answer our Twitter mentions, check our You Tube inbox, edit and upload the trick of the day video, write and adjust the schedule, track and order inventory, input all the paperwork for our sales at Dollywood, write a few entries for the Myachi Blog and then eat some dinner.

The plan seemed perfect, but somehow I forgot that I would also need to sleep at some points as well.

Because of that, the blog has suffered unduly.  It and the forum have been the most commonly neglected of my responsibilities, and this entry is meant as both a formal apology and a commitment to redouble my efforts.  I knew that the blog would suffer a bit, but I never thought it would get as bad as it's gotten.

Before I left for Tennessee, I was averaging about 18 entries a week, but on some weeks I'd go as high as 21 or 22.  That meant I was blogging well over twice a day on average and sometimes I was besting 3 a day.  And then I came to Tennessee and right away it dropped to 11 blog entries in a week.

Now to be honest, this is kind of what I expected.  I didn't really feel that I'd be able to keep up 2 and 3 entries every day, but I suspected that most days I could at least write something in the morning and something in the evening.  Some days I'd be too tired and I'd end up ending the week with about 11 updates.

But then things got worse.  I went from a week with 11 blog updates to a week with only 6.  That's not even one a day!  That means that at least once, I completely neglected the Myachi blog and didn't even bother to hop on and link a cool Myachi related or skill related You-Tube video.  Nada.  Nothing.  Zilch.

And then things hit rock bottom.  Last week, I only updated the blog 3 times.  Three times in one week.  I went from 3 entries in a good day to 3 in a whole week.  Pathetic.  Unacceptable.  That means there were more days last week when I didn't blog than there were days when I did.  And I owe our loyal readers way more than that.

Heck, I haven't even given an update on all the contests that are being postponed for the moment.  I haven't even announced another contest to follow up the Summer Photo Contest, which itself has been postponed, though I haven't bothered to mention it or give anyone a thorough update on what's going on there.  I haven't chosen the winner for the first 50 followers prize and I haven't explained why just yet.

Anyway, if you read this blog regularly, I don't have to tell you that things have gotten bad... you already know that.  You're probably getting sick and tired of logging in and seeing the same headline you saw the day before.

Well, I'm here to tell you "no more!"  No more shall you be deprived of regular and at the very least daily updates on the Myachi Blog.  No more shall you suffer the agony of not reading random stuff I write.  No more shall you wonder if I even remember that I announced a contest a couple weeks ago.  No more shall your trips to the Myachi Blog be stripped of their meaning by insufficient updates.

As exhibit A that I mean what I say, I offer the fact that it's midnight on Tuesday night and I've already posted more entries this week than I did all of last week.  But that's only 4 so it's not much to brag about.  But still, it's a start.

But I also know that I can't get very far just by saying "I will work harder".  I'm already working almost as hard as I can (I did spend an hour watching a George Carlin bit tonight, so there's room to improve).  To keep this blog rolling, I'm going to need your help.  I need guest bloggers and reader submitted updates.  Write about anything you want, as long as it's related to Myachi or it's something you think would interest the Myachi community.

Unfortunately, I have an e-mail issue at my @myachi address, so I'll have to ask you to send it to crazyivanmyachi@gmail.com instead, or pm it to me on the forum.  To get us back to two updates a day, I'll probably be looking for 3 or 4 guest posts a week, so if you like to write, keep them coming!

And remember, I might not use all the entries.  Think about it like a creative writing assignment in school.  Before I publish something, I have to check it for misspellings, grammatical errors and bits that don't make sense.  If I have to spend as much time correcting an entry as I would writing a blog, it doesn't do me much good.

But as long as it meets the high quality standards of the Myachi Blog and is of general interest to the Myachi community, I'd love to publish your work...

...Oh, and I promise to give everyone the full updates on those contest tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment