Monday, September 12, 2011

Tournament Recap

by Crazy Ivan

Well, I think I speak for everyone that was there when I say that the 3rd Myachi Tournament at Funky Monkey was a huge success.  Much fun was had by all, many trades were made, many tricks were done, many Myachi Masters were met, many friendships were made, many prizes were won and many legends were molded.

Unfortunately I can't give you the play by play recap I hoped to, as I was not present for the actual competition.  I'd hoped to break down each discipline and point to all the strengths and weaknesses and moments of bitter rivalry, tense preparation, suspenseful action and joyful victory.  I'd hoped to paint the picture of sweat covered brows wrinkled in consummate concentration while the eyes below them were locked on airborne Myachis.  I'd hoped to draw you through the escalating apprehension as the championship progressed such that your heart was pounding by the time I finally revealed the outcome.

But I wasn't actually there.

I showed up at the Funky Monkey about half an hour before things got started, but by the time everyone else got there we realized somebody had to head back to HQ for all the people that would be leaving the tournament early (or showing up thinking the competition was being held at our place).  Since I'd been there hanging out with everyone the longest, I figured it would be best if I was the one that left.

I've heard a few stories trickling in since then, but I don't really know what all happened.  I know that Omega hit an unbelievable series of shots in the Golf game, but ultimately a girl who was brand new to the game ended up winning it and tying for 3rd place overall.  I know that Gold hit some crazy combo with an insane run of flexibility moves to win the Best Trick category.  I know that the contestant were so good at catching that Myachi Man had to start bouncing sacks off the underbelly of satellites in the Big Air competition.  And I also know that Kickstand dominated early and often and ultimately took home the big prize.

Those of you who've been reading this blog for a while already know how awesome Kickstand is, so I won't bother rehashing all of that.  But I must say that I was really fired up when I heard that he won.  By the time I left (minutes before the competition began) he hadn't even shown up, so I didn't know he was coming.  When the guys started trickling into HQ after the tournament and I heard he won it all, I was really stoked.

Now, I know that I shouldn't be "rooting for" anybody.  I should be an objective 3rd party that would have been just as happy no matter who won.  And in truth, I'd have been pretty fired up for anyone there.  Everybody there was pretty awesome and they all deserved something pretty sick for their efforts.  But we were giving away a Clear at this thing.  I wanted to make sure that went to somebody who would truly appreciate how awesome it was.

To put this in perspective, I should explain that even the other Myachi Masters are jealous of Kickstand for that pick up.  Animal and Monk were salivating over it the other day before MM brought it to the Funky Monkey.  That's a sack that virtually every Myachi player would love to add to their collection.  Like I said, I would have been happy no matter who won it, but I'm all the more stoked that it went to the competitor that had been in the game and collecting Myachis for the longest of anyone there.

As I said above, I can't really go into the details.  I'm just hearing things second hand so rather than trying to piece it all together, I'm calling upon the people that were actually there.  I want to piece a few things together using the words of the contestants so if you were there and have a story about the competition that you'd like to share, send it to me at crazyivan@myachi.com and hopefully I can work out a little patchwork of eye-witness reports.

Oh, and since I never actually got around to saying it, "Congratulations, Kickstand!"


 

No comments:

Post a Comment