Monday, September 12, 2011

The Science of Myachi

by Crazy Ivan

The first thing I do each morning when I get to the office is check my messages.  This might seem like a pretty straightforward responsibility, but in addition to checking my personal messages, I've got to check Myachi's messages and those include (but are not limited to):
  • Messages left on Myachi's Facebook page,
  • @ Mentions on Twitter,
  • Comments on the Blog,
  • Messages over YouTube,
  • PMs on the Myachi Forum,
  • Emails to both my Myachi accounts,
  • PMs on Myachi.com
  • Comments on our YouTube videos.
On a Monday after a busy weekend, this can take well over an hour.  Most of the messages fall into a few easy categories such as "Is X a fair trade for Y?", "Where can I find rares?", "What stores near me carry Myachi?", "Has anyone invented this trick before?" or "How do you do a...?".  I have some fairly standard answers to some of these inquiries and for a few of them I just direct the questioner to a link to an older blog entry on the subject in question.

But once in a while I get a message that is so cool or unique that I feel like I have to share it on the blog.  That was the case a few days ago when I got a YouTube message from a Maniac who had a unique idea of how to spread the word in his school.  He was going to use Myachi for his science project.

There are a lot of ways one could do something like that, I suppose.  Myachi intersects with physics quite a bit and lessons on centifugal force and momentum could easily be wrapped up in a Myachi demonstration.  But his idea was even cooler; not only does it give him a groovy science project, it also helps to answer a question that all Myachi players wonder: Which Myachi has the best grip?

I'll be filling in the details once I hear more about it, but the idea is to take Myachis of several different fabrics and measure the friction that each one creates.  I'm not sure how he'll be measuring it, but I can think of a couple ways off hand.  If he does it right, he might even create a measurement the rest of us can use when describing the grip of a Myachi.  Like, if he finds a way to quantify it we might end up with a "Gription Quotient" and we can describe our Myachis by their relative GQ:

Oh, so your Gray Beard has a GQ of .715, huh?  Not bad, but it's nothing compared to my Yellow Jacket and its .804
 Anyway, I hope to be able to add some more details (and maybe even some pictures) once he's a bit farther along with the project.  At the very least, I'll be letting everyone know the results of his experiment.

In case you're curious about what science-minded maniac came up with this idea, check him out on his You-Tube channel.  I'm just saying that he looks like the next MythBuster in the making...

No comments:

Post a Comment