Thursday, April 19, 2012

Our Award Winning Skill Toy Collection

by Crazy Ivan


Long time readers of this blog will recall a post that I made a while back about the Skill Toy Collection at the House of Skills.  I cataloged all the different skill toys we had (though I somehow managed to leave out the footbags) one at a time and then took a big picture of all of them together.

I was looking over some old posts the other day and came across that one and it occurred to me that I should update it since we'd added so many new toys to our collection in the year or so since I posted it.  It was something I kept meaning to do and it kept getting pushed to the back burner.

And then last week our friends at USAstrojax prompted me to go ahead and make it happen.  I was alerted to a contest they were running on their Facebook page where they were offering a $10 gift certificate to the person who could post the picture of the largest skill toy collection.  At first I simply went back to the blog and found the old picture I'd taken for that year old post and simply offered that up.  I figured that had to be the biggest collection of skill toys anyone would post.

In a sense it was.  If they were measuring by the number of different skill toys in the collection, our pic was clearly way ahead.  But there was another guy who posted a pic of his skill toy collection and while it wasn't as varied as ours, he had so many juggling rings, scarves, balls and clubs that he pulled ahead of us by a bit.  In total, he had 317 toys to our meager 154.

But this was a contest that the House of Skills was not willing to lose, so we decided to take a new picture and just to be on the safe side, after adding all the toys we'd picked up in the interim, I added 180 Myachis from my collection to make sure nobody could outdo us.

To be honest, nobody really cared too much about winning the gift certificate.  We already have three sets of Astrojax so I'll probably just donate it to one of my nephews or something, but there's a certain amount of pride that goes in to stuff like this and when you call your home the "House of Skills", there are certain challenges that you have to face head on... and certain competitions that you have to win.



For the record, this photo contains:

3 Astrojax
26 Balls (bounce, glow, contact, bean, exer, etc.)
8 Battle Paddles
1 Boomerang
3 Cigar Boxes
14 Clubs
4 Devil Sticks
3 Diabolos
1 Finger Chux
1 Fire Devil Sticks
1 Fire Poi
8 Flair Bottles
41 Footbags
2 Gyro Rings
1 Hat
3 Kendiamas
1 Kikbo
1 Lasso
3 Machetes
1 Meteor
180 Myachis
3 Nunchaku
1 Poi
7 Rings
9 Shaker Cups
1 Slackline (The box behind the Diabolos)
1 Staff
1 Stilt Set
9 Spooner Boards
1 Takraw Ball
3 Torches
1 Unicycle
1 Vew-Do Board
3 Yo-Yos

No comments:

Post a Comment