Thursday, April 26, 2012

Almost Fame-ish

by Crazy Ivan


So I'm at the store the other day with Noodles and I meet a kid so cool I had to blog about him.  I'm not going to use his name here and we couldn't think of a fitting nickname for him on the spot, so I'll just call him mini-Bones for the time being.  I have to imagine that when Bones was 4 years old, he looked an awful lot like this little guy.

Anyway, it turns out that somebody had bought him a Myachi DVD combo pack when he was just 2 years old.  Way too young to really play the game, but apparently he really liked the DVD and it became one of the ones that he watched over and over again.  I'm sure everyone reading this can think of a movie they've witnessed some 4 year old watch over and over again and if you lived in the same house with that 4 year old, odds are good that you inadvertently memorized that movie before long.  And if it was in the last six years or so odds are pretty good that the movie in question is Cars.


Of course, when mom and dad come around the corner with mini-Bones in tow and they see me at the stand playing Myachi, they recognize me right away.  It's like they just turned the corner and Buzz Lightyear was hanging out, having a burger.  Mini-Bones recognized me too, but his shy shield came up and he was a little too young to realize that there was anything weird about running in to the people you see on TV.  Luckily Noodles was there and able to coax him out of his shell a bit and before long we were all hanging out and jamming.

He actually had some skills and that's mighty impressive for a kid who doesn't turn 4 until Sunday.  He could catch and throw from the back of the hand, he nailed the Hulk and Lotus several times and even managed to toss from hand to hand.  He even hit a couple of Under the Legs before it was all over.  He also taught me a kung-fu technique that I can use if I ever get attacked by a group of ninjas... and I so hope that eventually happens.

Let's be clear here.  Every day I meet a lot of cool people.  It's a big part of my job.  I don't exactly blog about it every time I meet a kid with surprising skills and awesome parents.  If I did this blog would just be loaded with stories just like this one with upwards of 50 posts a day.  And by necessity, they'd all be tweet length.  So why write about this one?

I suppose I can admit to my self-serving motives.  It still cracks me up that in some very small circles to some often very small people, I'm almost Fame-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment