Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Science, meet Myachi

This is a guest blog that J-Slack submitted a while back.  It is a perfect demonstration of just how creative STWAKOJ can be.  Thanks J-Slack, for all the hard work.  And to everyone who enjoys this one, rest assured that you'll be hearing more from him again in the future.  So without further ado:


The Results Are In From the Myachi Science Project!


by J-Slack




I really just did this to STW in my school (and that worked very well, some of my friends bought Myachis) lol
Here is the conclusion:

In my hypothesis, I predicted that denim would have the most friction, next the corduroy, and then the least friction would be the microfiber. My hypothesis was partially correct. The corduroy ended up having the most friction, then denim, then finally microfiber
.
After thoroughly observing the fabrics after testing, I realized why the results occurred. The corduroy was made of strands of fabric twisted together, therefore making it thicker and having a larger surface area.
When exploring further after testing, I thought that the results were the proper ones. I was guessing the ridges would have less surface area, resulting in less friction. But the thickness of the ridges influenced it and gave a different result.
Finally, I realized the perfect way to test. I took an 8-foot ramp, put it at a 40-degree angle, and timed how long it took to slide down. That was the easiest way to test it, because all of the Myachis slid off. But then if you TIME how long it takes for them to slide off, that makes ALL the difference.
I think that next time, I would try to expand my knowledge of DIFFERENT fabrics by testing more (more trials). My goal was to test the best fabric made by Myachi Industries, but ultimately, there was no possible way to do that, seeing as there are over 500 different Myachis, and that there are different stages of how floppy and bent (“Broken In”) a Myachi is. That is an odd controlled variable that can come into an affect when deciding.
So what Myachi fabric has the most friction?

Here's the summary:
My question was: What Myachi fabric has the most friction? I chose this topic because I LOVE the game Myachi. I asked questions and realized that finding a way of testing would be difficult. 
My hypothesis was that denim would have the most friction, then corduroy, then microfiber. I thought this would be true because of the rough surface of the fabric. 
I tested my hypothesis by taking an 8-foot ramp, putting it at a 40-degree angle, sliding the Myachis down it, and timing how long it took for all of them. I controlled my variables by using the same piece of wood, same stopwatch and the same Myachis.  
The averages came out as: 
  • Corduroy: 2.03
  • Denim: 1.4
  • Microfiber: 1.27
When doing my project, I realized that when the Myachi slid down the ramp, it gained momentum. 
My data did not support my hypothesis. I learned corduroy is a great fabric with lots of friction. Next time, I would do more trials with different fabrics. 
Results:Corduroy: Had an average of 2.03. It was the fabric with the most friction in my tests.Denim: Had an average of 1.4. It was the second best in terms of friction.Microfiber: Had an average of 1.27. It was the worst in terms of friction.



1 comment:

  1. I love you Crazy Ivan. (Metaphorically) This came out great in the changes you made, the project was so fun, being nominated for the JOTYA was great, I even did pretty good, too.
    BTW (I got a 94 average on the final thing)

    ReplyDelete