Thursday, October 4, 2012

Series 5.4 Review, Part Two

by Crazy Ivan

Yesterday, I broke down the first six sacks in the 5.4 series.  We saw some old favorites, some new takes on some old designs and some classic fabrics popping back up after long hiatuses.  Today we're going to take all those themes to a higher level as we break down the remaining Myachis in the series.  And, no offense to the Aztec Red, the Checkerboard, the Shadow Box Red, the Blackhole Sun, the Python Blue and the Bagpipe Blue, I think I saved the best for last.

 BLUE LABYRINTH 


We started with a rerelease yesterday, so I figured we'd do the same today.  The most popular sack from the 4.5 series makes a triumphant return in the 5.4, reminding us all that nothing beats a brightly colored corduroy.  Now complimenting the Labyrinth Green in the 5.4x series (see review coming next week), the understated pattern on this classic manages to hold its own even alongside the cornucopia of visual awesomeness that is the 5.4 series.

For those of you who never jammed with a broken in Labyrinth Blue, I feel confident in saying that I can't oversell it.  In terms of jammability I would likely rank it as my all time favorite horizontal corduroy.  But don't just take my word for it.  The original release of this sack was recent enough that there are plenty of Manias that would be happy to back me up on that.

 JOLLY ROGER 


When the time comes to select the new series, Myachi Man sends up hundreds of fabric samples and everybody at the House of Skills looks over them, each of us selecting our favorites.  In every batch, there are always a few patterns that we all agree on and a few that we debate.  I'm sure it will come as no surprise that there was no debate when it came to the Jolly Roger.

You can already see that it's awesome so I don't have to tell you that.  It's probably the coolest looking sack since the Hard Core Cammo.  But what you can't see on the picture is what an incredible jammer it is as well.  The fabric has no real parallel in the Myachi world, so the best I can do to describe it is to say that it's somewhere between a Boneyard Red and a Calvin.  It's a denim, but a thin denim that breaks in like a late stage denim way quicker.

Like all denims (including the vaunted Calvin), it starts out a bit slick so it's probably not the best Myachi for a beginner.  It's definitely more of a veteran Myachi, though I'm sure every collector will be rushing to add this one, regardless of their level of skill.

 BRAVEHEART ORANGE 


People often ask me why there aren't more orange Myachis.  Sure, there's the Highlander Orange and the Juice and a few others (mostly promos and special event sacks), but most series come and go without any orange at all.  Is it that Myachi Man doesn't like the color?  Is it that Myachi Masters have a problem with colors that nothing rhymes with?

The sad truth is that we all dig orange as much as the next guy (or gal), but historically, orange Myachis don't sell very well.  They tend to be the last ones lingering on the shelf after all the other Myachis sell out.  The Wavy Gravy Orange, the Juice, the Candy Corn and even the Electric Orange Shag were the slowest sellers in their respective series.

That being said, we're confident in the Braveheart Orange for two reasons.  First is that plaids are always winners (even the Highlander Orange and the Tartan Orange were strong sellers) and second is that the unique type of corduroy employed for this sack is going to intrigue jammers.  It jams more like a shag when it's new and more like a suede when it's broken in so it's certainly not the same old corduroy experience.  It certainly takes a bit more effort to break in than more traditional corduroys, but it's also far more jam-worthy before it's all the way broken in, so it makes for a pretty even trade off.

 JUNGLE CAMMO 


When we set out to make a great series, there are three pattern types we're always looking for; a good plaid, a good skull & crossbones variation and a good cammo.  Considering that, I'd say we did a pretty solid job in series 5.4.

The Jungle Cammo is reminiscent (in both design and jammability) of the Agent Orange and the Hunter Cammo.  It's a classic corduroy, which means that it breaks in easily and is jam-worthy right away.  It's a bit more brightly colored than most green cammos (and actually a bit more brightly colored than it looks in the picture above) so it's actually a pretty good outdoor jammer, which is usually a huge drawback for camouflage patterns.

I must admit that of all the sacks in the 5.4 series, this is the one I've spent the least time with and thus I'm not 100% qualified to review it's jammability once broken in.  I can say that it jams like you'd expect a solid vertical corduroy to jam and I'm quite sure that it's a good sack for both beginners and veterans, but I'm still not prepared to say that it breaks in to the legendary level that it's sister sacks (the aforementioned Hunter Cammo and Agent Orange) achieved.  I do have my fingers crossed, though...

 STONE AGE 


Finally, we get to my personal favorite in the series.  Of course, anybody who knows my taste in Myachis will not be at all surprised that my favorite sack in the series is the denim one.  I've long admitted that I can't really be trusted when it comes to reviewing denim sacks since I think all of them are incredible (with the possible exception of the Chili Pepper, which was way too hard to break in).  So keep all that in mind as you read the next two paragraphs where I slobber on endlessly about my unabashed love for this Myachi.

This might be the best denim Myachi of all time.  Obviously it's pretty early to say that and since I've had almost a decade to fall in love with the Calvin, it's going to take more than a couple weeks of jamming with one of these suckers to make that assessment.  But as for "fresh from the package" jamming, I don't think any denim was ever so friendly.  It's a thick, durable denim like a Calvin or a Diesel, but it gives much easier right away and is far less frustrating to break in than most denims.

Of course, the big question is whether it breaks in like a Calvin.  After all, being the easiest denim to jam with new is like being the tallest person in an empty room.  Not much competition.  I can say that it breaks in quickly compared to many denims, and I can say that it is my go-to jammer from series 5.4, but it might take years before a realistic comparison can be made between this one and the consensus best jammer of all time.  Still, the fact that I'm even suggesting that such a comparison might one day be made is a pretty good indicator of how awesome a Myachi this thing really is.

 STARBURST 


And now to the one that everybody is talking about.  It's like the Iridescent rainbow meets the Cotton Candy.  It's vivid, kaleidoscopic design is so eye-catching that many people look at pictures of the whole series and see nothing but the Starburst.  The mottled design looks like the kind of Myachi that would give Mario superpowers and it gets even cooler once you start jamming with it.

There's not much to say about this Myachi except that (a) it is a classic shag with a feel similar to a Blueberry Leopard or a Cotton Candy and (b) just look at it.

-----

That concludes my review of the 5.4 series, but, of course, that means that my job is only halfway done.  There was another double pack release that went with this one, so be on the look out for my review of the Myachis in series 5.4x (which will also be a two-parter) coming next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment